Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hair Today...

When I was a little girl I had white-blonde hair, and Jim did as well. Yep, we were towheads.
(Do you know where that term came from? When making Flax into cloth, the short fibers that need to be removed from the long threads are called tow, and apparently are really white. So blonde colonial children got the nickname towheads, and it's stayed in our vocabulary.)

Many women wish they could keep their blonde locks, and pay a lot of money to keep the dream alive - and Clairol and L'Oreal just love them for it. When I was about 9 my mother taught me to help her frost her hair, a process that involved a shower cap with holes all over it. I would stick a crochet hook through and pull out strands of hair which she could then bleach. It is a MUCH more sophisticated process now.
(I considered inserting a photo of a head of hair with several dozen foil pieces sticking up all over, but I think everyone pretty much knows just how dorky that looks.)



But when we were girls, we couldn't just run get highlights like you can now. We resorted to using whatever product we were told would work. I remember putting lemon juice on it when out in the sun, but that didn't seem to lighten it much; tho the way it turned our hair to straw told us it was doing something.

I got my hair done the other day, and during a discussion of such coloring techniques, my hairdresser, Judy, confessed she'd tried all the same weird things girls try to make their hair lighter. She laughed as she remembered how she and her sister had an epic fail when they experimented on their little sister. They'd bought Sun-In, and not wanting to risk their own hair, they took her outside to spray it on her BROWN hair. They watched in horror as it started getting redder and redder, becoming quite copper just as mom was coming home, and they caught it for that one. When she was a little older and expressed desire to be a real hair professional, Judy's mom made it clear she could NOT come near her head until she had plenty of training!

Nichole told me that when she was in beauty school, an older lady came in who admitted she'd had plenty of product put into her hair lately, but wanted now to have new color put in. They tried to explain to her that there was NO guarantee of how it would turn out since they didn't know what had been done previously. But she was okay with that, so they continued. They even tested a little strand first and there was no strange reaction, no smoke coming off of it like COULD happen with some bizarre chemical reaction.
It turned out GREEN.
Dark avocado green. Nichole saw her the next day and could totally pick her out from the crowd across the street when she came down to lunch - that's how well she now stood out. She was a classy lady, always wearing suits and working in the capitol building in SLC... but she loved to be adventurous with her hair, so she was just fine with the green!

I was sad when I was 11 and still thought I was blonde, only to realize I really wasn't any longer. My hair just kept getting darker; my grandmother even accused me of coloring it.
THAT didn't start until I was in my 40's. And of course, I'm working at keeping it dark nowadays. I pay for product and services so that I can keep the gray at bay. I'm just vain enough to put up with the dorky foil strips every 5 weeks or so. Maybe when I'm older and really facing being a towhead again, I'll try out avocado green!
Think I could pull it off?

No comments:

Post a Comment