Monday, January 16, 2012

Pa'i - qui' 排球

I commented back in October on how Chinese restaurants are handing out
nowadays instead of telling us our fortune.

The cookie I received last week follows suit and with not such remarkable advice:
"Forget those things that aren't worth remembering."
Okay, I guess that is great advice for people harboring anger or resentment.

However, it was the back of the 'fortune' that caught my eye. Above my lucky numbers was this:

LEARN CHINESE - Volleyball
pa'i -qui' 排球.
I am guessing one would say this Pie-key.

That will REALLY come in handy when I am next in Hong Kong! Hopefully the other cookies have more helpful words, like taxi or subway or hotel. Maybe if you buy enough Chinese food, you could string together a sentence with the words you get to learn... something useful like, "Please, where might I find a restroom?"

Instead with my luck, I'd learn to say, "Your mother is an ugly volleyball."

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I never thought your mom was an ugly volleyball....If you want more useful Chinese words, I'll send you my 8 year old granddaughter's phone number. She is in a Chinese immersion program and is a fluent Mandarin speaker!

    ReplyDelete