Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Arm and Leg



Okay, I just spent $60 filling my car's empty tank!! I always let it get right down to below empty, driving around on fumes, which irks Reeder no end. This time I'm pretty sure the car was gulping in appreciation as the petrol started pouring in. Yet all I could hear was Ka-CHING, Ka CHING, Ka-CHING....
I just really hate shelling out the cash to fill the tank. (Oh, did you know that in Oregon it is illegal to pump your own gas?? That cracked me up) But drive we must, and I drive a lot for my job, a lot of freeway cruising up the 60 heading towards Tempe or into Mesa. (We are on the easternmost fringe of Mesa) I've decided to copy Aubrey and slow down a little to 65, to save gas. (okay, slow down a LOT to 65, who'm I kidding.) So cars are just zipping on past me, they do NOT like me disrupting their commute by being in FRONT of them. Sometimes they get right behind me and I swear there are mental daggers flying from them, that I MUST move over. If I were in the fast lane I would understand their frustration; BTDT. (Once I was in the fast lane late at night when there was little traffic, and had a bully come up behind me, close on my bumper. I HATE that. I've been known to slow down in protest so that the desparate driver is forced to go around. But this time I was sticking at about 73, and this guy is NOT interested in going around, even tho the freeway is totally empty of cars. No, instead he turns on these big white lights!! It is a cop! Boy, I moved over quickly, and was grateful the lights weren't flashing red and blue. But then I was mad that a COP was basically doing the bullying thing. He wasn't hurrying to get anywhere, he exited a few miles up.
Arizona says Slower Traffic move right, and I know what a person doing 65 in the far left lane does to traffic during a busy day, when people want to go faster. He is actually making it LESS safe by forcing his agenda. (And let's face it, there are times we need to hurry. If I got a call that my father-in-law was at a hospital in Phoenix with a cardiac arrest, you can bet I would risk a ticket and go well over 65... I'm just sayin'.)
I REALLY want a hydrogen car, but they are few and far between, and no place to refuel. Maybe when the prices come down and they've worked out the kinks, we'll get an electric car... but then where do you plug it in? OH, and the funniest thing - SRP, our local ELECTRIC company, does NOT have anywhere for employees to plug in their electric cars, should they have one. I found that so utterly ironic.

So I'm slowing down to save a little money, maybe even a lot. If I plan ahead and leave a few minutes earlier, I won't notice any change in my routine.
Ha ha ha, who am I kidding? I NEVER leave early enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment