Sunday, February 3, 2013

To 'Poo or not to 'Poo

Yes, an indelicate title to get your attention!

So the last time I shampooed was Tuesday Jan 29th, when I got a haircut and color at my regular salon visit.  I started the previous week shampooing with Baking soda - or going NO POO as some say. the UnPoo method is uber natural, obviously. But plenty of things are natural and not so great. ( I found some 'natural' in my dining room early this morning, a wonderful gift left by Maggie, isn't she the dear one?)
Here is one woman's experience, with photos of her hair and everything. http://thecrunchywife.com/2012/02/i-finally-went-no-poo.html

I've found several blogposts about it, enough to help me get brave and give it a try.
 A tsp of baking soda in a cup of water for the wash (No suds at all)  and the hair feels all silky and lovely!!  But then the rinse, to balance the pH, is a Tab of Apple Cider Vinegar in a cup of water.  IMMEDIATELY there is a change and the hair suddenly feels like straw.  But you rinse that out too, even use a little conditioner now and then, tho not on the scalp, just the ends.  You smell like a salad till it dries.  ( I really don't like vinegar, so I've gone with some lemon juice and only a splash of the vinegar, and I like that smell much better.)   If you read the blog and the comments, you'll learn plenty of other women's experiences.  I have friends doing this, it's not as rare as I'd thought.

  I've not been disappointed at all. My hairdresser on Tuesday didn't gasp and say, "WHAT in the world have you done to your hair?!"   In a month when I go back, I'll let her know my experiment and see what her opinion is of my hair. It doesn't seem to be hurting the hair color she's putting in there to cover my gray. And when I get REALLY brave and decide I can live with the gray (there isn't enough to make a go of it yet,)  then I'll really be natural. But hey, I don't feel old enough to be truly gray yet. I LIKE looking 27 years old!   Well 39 then  ..... okay, okay  45, but that's my final offer.

So I did find my hair is softer. I have very fine hair and still am putting mousse on it. I'm told people with really curly hair report it makes their hair softer. One just has to get brave and give it a try. I think any time we can get less chemicals on our bodies, the better. Your scalp reacts to the degreasers in shampoo by making MORE oil, so then more oil makes for oily hair. You skip all that by not using shampoo. Oh, and brushing.  Don't you remember?  Women used to brush their hair 100 times every night with natural bristle brushes, bringing the oil down onto the hair shaft, thus conditioning it!

My goal is to get to like 4 or 5 days between shampoos. I'd already 'trained' my head to go every other day, a MAJOR change from all my years of having to shampoo every morning. 
This morning as I type this, I'm trying to decide if I clean my head again before stake conference, or live with it.  I woke too early (4:15  UGH!) to even look in the mirror yet.   Not having to blow-dry and curl my hair again for another day sounds lovely.

So get brave and try it, think of all the money you'll save!

  And haven't you always wondered- If we are putting shampoo on our hair, was there a time people used REAL poo??  Makes ya wonder.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is one of the most important information for me.
    And i'm happy studying your article. However wanna commentary on some basic issues, The site taste is great, the articles is in point of fact great : D. Good job, cheers

    My webpage :: cheap computer desk 2011

    ReplyDelete