Friday, June 1, 2012

They call me Mellow Yellow

So I decided to paint my hall bathroom, it still had the original 12 yr-old paint, and the blue and red and yellow flowers Danielle and I painted in there way back when she was a pre-teen. It was time for a change. The bedroom next to it is turquoise blue (soon to be a pale seafoam green,) and I thought a really pale yellow would look nice in there.
Yellow is my least favorite color, but over the years we have painted yellow walls. It seems to be a good one to go along with other colors. I can't wear yellow clothes, but my walls look fine in it.
     Well, standing in the paint aisle in Home Depot, I discovered about a zillion yellow choices: Vanilla Milkshake, Morning Sunshine, Zinnia Gold, Lemon Drops, Banana Split, Cornsilk, Mellow Yellow, Lemon Souffle, Lemon Poundcake, Lemon Sorbet ... I was getting hungry, and realized one's decision might be made simply by virtue of whether they've had their breakfast yet or not.
      I picked out many paint chips - darker than I wanted, lighter, as yellow as I thought I might be able to handle. Do I want it lemony? Not sure. Greenish? NO! And definitely not heading over to honey or orange. My head was swimming in all the choices. I tipped the little cards, carried them under a different light, tilted them - they kept changing shades... this was not easy.
      I said hello to a little dog in a shopping cart, and his owner leaned over to be friendly. She looked at the mass of yellow in my hands and asked, "So what are you painting?"
 "A hall bathroom."
 "Oh. Well, yellow... won't that make people think of urine? Hey, Bob! She's thinking of painting her bathroom YELLOW!"
 A scruffy mate walked over, "Oh. Isn't that a little like urine?"
      Why thanks ever so much. Howsabout you folks take Bruiser there back to your double-wide and let me make my decision!
      But now I was a little unsure of this. I decided I needed a daughter's opinion. Luckily Chelsea answered her phone and was quick to reassure me. "Nah, Mom. Yellow will be fine. No one's going to think of urine when they walk into the bathroom. Well, unless they already WERE thinking of urine."
     I finally picked a not-too-pale shade of Moonlight and hurried over to the paint guy before I changed my mind again.
     A week later I started pouring paint into the tray, realizing this does look lemony. It looks positively yummy, like some lemon custard filling in a cake. I realized the paint color name choosing people have to be cautious about their naming. Lemon sorbet evokes a lovely sentiment, lemon yogurt not so much. Urine might be descriptive enough, but it will never appear on a paint chip, pretty sure. And I realized even custard might not make it to a paint color chip - there are probably others who, like me, were big Beatles fans and could quickly start humming in their head, "Yellow matter custard, dripping from a ..." Well, you can read the rest here I am the Walrus

My bathroom is all Moonlit now and ready for a new rug and some little hand towels .  Soon I may tackle the bedroom next to it, the one that will be pale green.  Today I got those paint chips.  How do these sound?  Envious Pastel, Misty Lawn, Misty Hillside, Misty Afternoon... those don't sound like Arizona colors, do they? There are Margarita and Olive Martini (someone was thirsty THAT day!)   Toadstool, Trailing vine, and my two favorites - Lazy Caterpillar and Jade Bracelet.  

This is gonna be tough to decide!  Maybe I should head back to Home Depot and see if Bruiser and the folks are there,  I'm sure they have an opinion about painting a room green.



No comments:

Post a Comment